Monday, June 26, 2023

Full Length Review: Avi Rosenfeld "Battle of Rock" (Independent) by Brynn Kali StarDew

Artist: Avi Rosenfeld
Country: Israel
Genre: Progressive rock
Full length: Battle of Rock
Format: Digital album
Label: Independent
Release date: June 2, 2023
Track one “Raven” started out excellent. Songwriting reminds me a bit of the great Edgar Alan Poe. Definitely has a thrash metal sound. I really enjoyed the guitar solo at 3:35; it was killing it!
Track 2 “Burn The Light featuring Timo Tolkki” was good. I liked the melodic guitar solo in the beginning. His voice sounds a lot like Dio which I enjoy. The lyrics were also very beautiful and touching! The galloping bass was a lot of fun for me actually.
Track 4 “Bite Your Tongue”: the lyrics reminded me a lot of an Iron Maiden song; a pretty solid metal track! Seems all their songs reflect the aggressive album art, very typical of the metal genre.
Track 5 “Rosamaria” was pretty good. I thought it sounded fun. I can definitely see the Latino influence in this even if it's a little heavy-handed. Still a nice love song nonetheless. “Rosamaria beautiful eyes they can see ya in the dark”: That line had me busting up laughing; no offense. I just wasn't expecting it. The drum part around 3:20 was cool, and the guitar riffs were very interesting as well!
Track 7 “Send Down the Angels” had some nice sounding guitars at 1:00 that I enjoyed and the piano in it around 1:20-1:30 sounded good too! I'm not super into music like this but I could definitely see myself dancing to stuff like this at a bar.
Track 9 “Parachute” kind of reminds me of Rush and King Crimson. Pretty typical progressive metal sound.
The final track “Nature's Awake” was definitely a tribute to the pillars of 70's rock. The rocking organ and lyrics about “shelter from the storm” were very 70's rock and I think anybody who enjoys that era of music would appreciate this album! -Brynn Kali StarDew

Musicianship 8.5/10
Songwriting 8.5/10
Production 8.5/10
Memorability 8.5/10
Overall 8.5/10

Lineup:
[see Bandcamp page for complete information]

Track list:
1. Raven
2. Burn The Light feat. Timo Tolkki
3. Half Of Your Face
4. Bite Your Tongue
5. Rosamaria
6. Blame
7. Send Down The Angels
8. Its Hot
9. Parachute
10. Nature's Awake

No comments:

Post a Comment