Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Full Length Review: Metallica "Ride the Lightning" (Megaforce, Elektra) by Devin J. Meaney

Band: Metallica
Location: San Francisco, California
Country: USA
Genre: Thrash metal, metal, rock
Full length: Ride the Lightning
Format: Vinyl, cassette, CD
Label: Megaforce Records, Elektra Records
Release date: July 27, 1984
A few days before writing this text I reviewed Metallica’s “Kill ‘em All”. Once again while listening to thrash metal in the sweltering heat I have decided to review an album. While listening to “Ride the Lightning” I do question if anyone really needs me to talk about Metallica. Still, this is what I have been listening to so I’m sure the zinesters “might” thank me for my waste of words.
Overall this is a great album and it makes use of much more melodics and acoustics than Kill ‘em All did. It can be nice to listen to, though as I said in an earlier writing when I get in “thrash mode” I tend to prefer Kill ‘em All. With that said, there really isn’t a bad song on this album and it is obvious why this was (and still is) a very popular record.
To not ramble too much I will just state that earlier Metallica (and some of the “newer” stuff) is still well worth a listen in 2024 and it can be enjoyed by both new and old fans of metal worldwide. Again, you probably don’t need me to talk about Metallica, and besides—I still think St. Anger is a great album (I love that trash can ping snare). So why are you concerned about my opinion anyway? Just listen to some thrash metal yo! -Devin J. Meaney

Lineup:
James Hetfield: Vocals, rhythm guitar
Kirk Hammett: Lead guitar
Cliff Burton: Bass
Lars Ulrich: Drums

Track list:
1. Fight Fire with Fire
2. Ride the Lightning
3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
4. Fade to Black
5. Trapped Under Ice
6. Escape
7. Creeping Death
8. The Call of Ktulu

No comments:

Post a Comment