Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Poem: 'Christopher Robin' by Astrid Beauvois

Christopher Robin
Astrid Beauvois

When you sit alone, you sit with your past,
And lately I cannot remember the last time I didn’t feel empty.
Only darkness reveals the brightest stars,
Brought to life by fists and spittle on cheeks split open.
I can’t remember my last good night’s sleep,
I go so long without rest that I could convince myself I’m a vampire.
I want to fly a million miles away from here,
Only to walk a million miles right back to this same front porch.
I’ve changed myself for everyone because there’s no way they could handle what lives within my heart,
But I never even contemplated hiding myself from you because somehow I knew you were strong enough to understand it.
Every day I feel like I am Satan,
Afraid to admit to myself just what a monster I have become.
Because what is the purpose of a life without music,
A song without a melody, just instruments in a competition to be the most brazen.

No comments:

Post a Comment