Sunday, January 15, 2023

Full Length Review: Saor "Origins" (Season Of Mist) by Devin J. Meaney

Band: Saor
Location: Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Genre: Folk metal, black metal
Full length: Origins
Format: Digital, CD, vinyl, cassette
Label: Season Of Mist
Release date: June 24, 2022
A tape I got from a friend for Christmas was “Origins” by Saor. I don’t fully know how to pin-point what sub-genre this is as it is obvious there is inspiration from multiple. I am reminded of bands like Manegarm. It has some “folkish” yet heavy vibes that are brought forward with efficiency.
The production is top quality and the riffage and percussion are immaculate. Even on cassette this has a high-res sound so it is quite clear that the album was professionally produced. The vocals are both dirty and clean and an assortment of different instruments are included.
This was released by Season of Mist. I can only fathom that there is more good stuff to be found on this label but I have yet to peruse their offerings. Still, I would suggest checking them out for yourself. Saor is top-notch so I can only guess that there is more good stuff to be found.
To make an end to this review I will just say that this album has a great sound and a great atmosphere and overall it was a win for me. It will get many plays in my cassette player and in the near future I will look into more from this intriguing band. -Devin J. Meaney

Lineup:
Andy Marshall: Vocals, guitar, bass
Vlad Cochet: Drums

Track list:
1. Call of the Carnyx
2. Fallen
3. The Ancient Ones
4. Aurora
5. Beyond the Wall
6. Origins

No comments:

Post a Comment