Sunday, October 20, 2024

Interview with Daniel Klyne Octy Octy Bo Bocty of Appalachian Winter by Daniel Ryan

Interview with Daniel Klyne Octy Octy Bo Bocty of Appalachian Winter by Daniel Ryan

How long have you been making music for?
Something like twenty-five years. I remember walking into my guitar teacher's recording studio when I was seventeen (I'm forty-two as of 2023) and realizing this is what I wanted to do with my life.

What do you think of LOD music networks stance on cancel culture?
Looks pretty solid. Trying to de-person someone for having diverging opinions is lame. Weak and cowardly people censor. Authoritarians censor. Genocidal psychopaths censor. Criminals censor. Censorship has no place in a decent world and is not perpetrated by decent people. I feel I'm preaching to the choir, though!

What is your favorite instrument to play on?
Playing favorites is difficult for me. I have times where it just feels good to rock out on guitars and drums, but sometimes playing bass in the pocket is also just what the doctor ordered. Sometimes playing banjo, mandolin, or ukulele hit's me where I need it. Piano, though, is special. I'm always in the mood for piano, so that instrument edges out everything else out just barely.

What acts have you played with before if any?
I mostly do solo stuff now. I'm best known for Appalachian Winter, which aside from a couple albums has been me solo. I have other solo stuff too - some of which I've been working on for well over a decade, and adding real drums to everything has been my toughest challenge as a musician. I had Guardian Eagle with a friend which was the final name for a long-running project, I have the Stereoplanetary Audio Construct with a couple other friends. I've done studio work for other solo projects. My goals now are to divest myself as much as possible from collaborative efforts and focus on getting my projects done, and including real drums.

If you had to layout all the bands in order you played in as a timeline what would they be?
That would be a disaster. I can barely remember what I had for lunch let alone my complete musical history.

What is the coolest experience you have had as a musician?
Easily it's been learning to play and record real drums. It hasn't been easy. Appalachian Winter faces delays while I try to figure stuff out and hone my skills on less demanding projects. But it's so worth it.

What inspires you to keep doing what you do?
I have no idea why I do this. I just want it in ways I have never wanted anything else. I'm a middle-aged man. I threw out all of my comfy furniture to have a drum set. Just wanted those drums more. I can't explain it.

If you had to name some influences what would they be?
Moonsorrow, Wintersun, Ensiferum, Borknagar - at least for Appalachian Winter. Other projects would have different influences or goals, but until they have some accomplished presence, I'd like to keep silent on them.

What is your favorite venue you been to or played in?
I don't play out. I don't deal with people or places. I hate travel. I just record at home and enjoy life.

To sum up this interview where can we find your latest music and any shout outs to anyone for the readers of Asphyxium zine.
https://appalachianwinter.com/ will have everything for those who are interested in that project. I'm going be silent about other projects until they are ready to be heard - but there is a lot more going on. Appreciate your time!

-Daniel Ryan, 4/17/23

No comments:

Post a Comment