Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Track Review: Zebulon Kosted "The Grief Exploitation Of Spirit Photographer William Hope" (Hammerkrieg Productions) by Corban Skipwith

Band: Zebulon Kosted
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: USA
Genre: Experimental black/doom/dark folk/space ambient/electronics
Format: Digital
Release date: December 17, 2021
Honestly, I don’t even know how to feel about this one.
I read the description for this absolute monolith of a song but to me not of the tags do it justice. This is truly one of the most bizarre, unique and introspective pieces of overture that I’ve ever heard (let alone this year).
If you read the description of this song you’ll find a story about a man ‘William Hope’ who was a con artist who manipulated photographs of the recently dead to show them included in later family photographs he had taken portraying them as ghosts.
I’m not really sure what that has to do with the song but I’m going to assume it lent the inspiration for the tracks eerie and unsettling nature.
This is the kind of track that invokes the spirit of ‘Patience’ as this song goes for a whopping 44 minutes+ and unless you have a strong clear ear for music shifts and switches you may not hear much change over that near hour but trust me it’s there, just done as swiftly and subtlety as possible.
If I could compare this to anything I would have to lend it to the work of Godspeed You! Black Emperor in its divine and cynical nature of production and presentation although I feel even this track serves more on the darker side then even them but that’s the closet I could find to a match up.
It’s like a piece of dark, ambient classical music hence the term used above ‘overture’ because that’s what comes to mind when I hear it.
If you have the time, go check it out. It’s monstrous in power, subtle by nature and brooding in spirit and soul.
This won’t be for everyone but I ask all of you to step outside of your comfort zone and give this an honest try, who knows! You might end up enjoying it and discover a new love for a new style! Corban Skipwith

Lineup:
Rashid Abdel Ghafur: Vocals, all instruments

No comments:

Post a Comment