Saturday, June 4, 2022

Single Review: Jade Mastriano "Comfortably Numb" (Independent) by Corban Skipwith

Artist: Jade Mastriano
Location: West Haven, Connecticut
Country: USA
Genre: Rock
Format: Digital
Label: Independent
Release date: October 16, 2017
I think this might be the first time I cover a cover? (See what I did there?).
Anyway, this is a cover of the legendary song by band ‘Pink Floyd’ and after going back between the two versions I do have a bit to say. Firstly let’s talk production because I feel the two variations says a lot in that area.
So, for the cover (believe it or not) they made it more trippy and more of a Lo-Fi, Synth) vibe with the instrumentation feeling like it’s being played in a faraway room, feels distant. Also there Soulja like there’s a lot of reverb and feedback in the headphones which I’ll be honest although I appreciate the idea to make it more 'psychedelic' shall we say, I’m not a fan of this, had they toned down the feedback and kept the sound closer it would be sick but yeah that’s a bit much for me.
The vocal harmonies are not too bad, considering the over the top production given here, she does her best to work it and she does a good job, it strangely suits it. The guitar done by ‘Fretless’ work well also, helping to provide that ‘out of this world feel’ and keyboard ‘Bleep and Boster’ work fantastic as well (all this considered on this production).
How does it fair overall as a cover? As I said I appreciate trying to go so out of field with everything and what better track to use than this by this band, but for me it’s a little too much! Go check it for yourself and tell me if I’m right or wrong! Corban Skipwith

No comments:

Post a Comment