Thursday, August 4, 2022

Interview with Erik Leviathan of Misanthropik Torment (second interview) by Dave Wolff

Interview with Erik Leviathan of Misanthropik Torment by Dave Wolff

Please share with the readers of Asphyxium what you've been doing since I interviewed you about a year ago. What is the current status of Misanthropik Torment and what are your other activities?
Since our last discussion I have once again become a solo artist. It seems to be what I am meant to be, all things considered. It is an uphill battle finding dedicated musicians and finding musicians who share my vision. I can't speak for others, however I honestly do not understand the reluctance others have when it comes to speaking the truth about our world. There are a lot of good bands out there and I'm not trying to shit on them, however most of their content is meaningless. Yes they sound good and their lyrics are ok. But as an artist I feel that all of us could use our talents to at least attempt to do something that may benefit the human race. I am by no means a Saint but the vision I have I find to be a worthy cause. Recently I have been hiring musicians from a company called Creative Commons to do all of my instrumental tracks so that I may fulfill my need to create and my desire to open the minds of those who are receptive to what I have to say. I am always met with adversity. I welcome it. It's ok.
The new track “Under Duress” is going to upset a lot of people simply because the cover art is the American flag on fire and displayed upside down. Most may not know this but when the flag is displayed upside down it is a sign of duress. I do not feel the need to explain why I feel our country and our world as a whole is in a state of duress. If one does not know this already then they may never know until it's too late.

When you approached musicians about joining your band, what were usually their reservations about what you wanted to say? In what ways do you believe your lyrics would lead to benefitting humanity?
Normally when I approach musicians about the topics I speak on I am met with things like, you shouldn't put politics in music or that's the wrong message to be sending or that my imagery is too offensive. Musicians I have worked with in the past end up leaving the band because they want to change the sound or they want to change the topics. I'm not really trying to change anything for the sake of fame or fitting in. I have something to say and I've done enough time I feel I have the right to say what I want to say. If what I'm saying is offensive then great it should be. I’ve said this before but no one should like anything about what I have to say. I guess a part of me hopes that I can start a movement of change a rebellion so to speak but I'm not delusional enough to believe that I myself am going to reach that many people with extreme metal. It's hard enough reaching the people that I have thus far. But one can hope for change.
I'm not sure if my lyrics can benefit humanity. I used to think that maybe I would have something to say that others would hear and maybe that would open their eyes and they might be receptive to Enlightenment. A lot of people seem to think I just talk about killing pedophiles that may not be a subject of Enlightenment but I've seen the way our Justice system fails so many survivors of sexual abuse. At the end of the day sex offenders cannot be cured it is a scientific fact that it is something in their brains. So just like a sociopath they will always do what they do. Therefore in my opinion they need to be put down like rabid dogs. However if you dig deeper into my older albums like R.A.T.E-POEWR-B.O.P. I speak on topics that could be beneficial to humanity if one would just digest the lyrics. A song in particular is “The Blueprint Façade” (lyrics below). I'm not saying that I can change the world but it seems that people have stopped caring about changing anything to the point that everyone or most everyone are complacent in being oppressed by every government. The tyrants have taken control and we are led around falling into their division plan. We are constantly at war with each other over anything that makes us different from one another. Our differences should bring us together not separate us. But hey who am I? I don't know anything I'm just an ex con.

With extreme metal becoming more widely accepted in the mainstream thanks to music television channels, do you think that gives you more of a chance to be heard? Or is there too much pressure from outside sources to tone your lyrics down?
I think that is a good thing that extreme metal is becoming more widely accepted, however because of that acceptance it has become more commercialized as well and that takes away from its authenticity. Metal was never supposed to be a multimillion dollar business, however corporate vampires have found a way to capitalize on musicians who just want to be heard. By extreme metal becoming commercialized this gives those who have the power to censor what an extreme metal artist has to say. I've seen it with several bands who would use their platform to speak out against injustice then the big companies come in and make them change their image and what they talk about to a more polished watered down type of metal. So I myself do not think that it being commercialized is a good thing.

Any examples you’ve seen of bands forced to tone down their “image” so they’d be more palatable to the masses?
There are many bands I have seen make subtle changes to their music and image so that they could be more palatable to the masses if you take a look at Marilyn Manson in the early 90s he was the king of controversy, then in 2007 his music became more about relationships. Everybody seems to love a good breakup song. But his music used to be something one could stand for. Especially with the album “Antichrist Superstar”. Another example is Whitechapel. Slayer was forced to put an alternate album cover on the “God Hates Us All” album due to the Catholic Church being so offended by the imagery of a bloody Bible with nails in it. There are many bands throughout the history of metal who have been forced into subtle changes to appease what fits the norm. Those who do not conform stay in the underground and are doomed to forever struggle to pay for their career.

What were the ways in which Whitechapel was pressed by critics and religious groups offended by what they wrote? Years after the 80s’ satanic panic, people might think there would be less intolerance about music. However, is it possible that the groups demonizing bands may have a vested interest?
Whitechapel’s music used to be geared more towards political corruption, and corruption in the music industry. However if you listen to their newer albums, they have completely switched their topics and their sound. I can only assume that they did so due to some backlash from their “Mark of the Blade” album.
In my opinion the only logical way to view the satanic panic of the 80s is a simple fear of losing control over the masses. Most bands who were persecuted for their imagery were not even really talking about Satan nor were they Satanists themselves. For example the band Kiss was widely protested against due to their wardrobe and face paint. The media tried to say that Kiss stood for Knights In Satan’s Service, however all of their songs were about love and rock and roll or sex. None of their songs had anything to do with the devil. Ozzy Osbourne was labeled the Prince Of Darkness and the media and religious fanatics tried to say his music was of the devil, however most of his songs were about rebelling against a tyrannical religious system that was speaking hatred and deceit. In my opinion their reasons for attacking these bands is that most of them are telling the truth that they don't want to be told. It’s a threat to their hold on people. What better way to control everyone than to make them believe in something that they need. If you can make someone believe in something with their whole being you can control them. They don't want anyone who has common sense to rattle that cage so they publicly put them on display as the enemy to detour people from listening to them. So yes I do believe there is a vested interest there.

Are more people seeing through the diversionary tactic religious groups are using to control the masses?
I think more people are starting to wake up, more so nowadays than ever before. The issue is, it's not the people who have the influence or the power to make any real changes.

There have been indications on the net that a second satanic panic is starting, one that seems even more intolerant than the panic of the 80s and 90s. Do you see any of those indications? One of the last prejudices people have that hinder true progress in the world.
I don't think that the satanic panic ever really left. People just got used to it. I do believe that it is becoming stronger and that's why people are starting to notice it again. The church is now starting to write laws for our country so that speaks volumes as to the so called separation of church and state. Next thing you know it's going to be a crime to speak against their fairy tale God.

Metal fests in the US and Europe seem to be a good choice for artists who do not conform to remain above water, thanks to the labels who help organize the events. Would you like Misanthropik Torment to perform at any of these events? Which ones?
I would love to have Misanthropik Torment on a festival, one in mind would be Wacken in Europe or even Metal in the Mountains in West Virginia. Really to me it doesn't matter; if there is a stage and I have a full band I'll perform almost anywhere.

What was the last metal fest you were able to attend? How large was the event and did it make you want to attend another one?
The last festival I attended was Mountains of Metal here in Kentucky. It was a nice event in the mountains of London Kentucky. I'd definitely go back.

Who appeared at Mountains of Metal and how much of a buzz was created for it in the weeks before it was held? How long has this fest been an item?
Mountains of Metal is a small underground festival put on by Mike Brewer. This festival's line up is made up of Kentucky’s local bands. When I went they had Left to the Wolves, Creature of Exile, Nekrowinter, Bastard Sons of a Judas Goat, Granshaw and about five other bands As far as a buzz, everyone local knows about it.

There is no doubt that the US is in bad shape, and has been for some time. There is growing concern not only here, but also in other countries. Are there personal concerns you have about that?
It's not just America that is in ruin. It’s the whole world. America however leads the world into the chaos we all face. My personal concerns are when the shit finally hits the fan what kind of future will our children have. I worry that our children will suffer tyranny like we never have before. I don't have all the answers but common sense dictates if something is wrong change it; do something different. Sure it may be hard at first but as humans we can adapt to the changes that need to be made in order for us to survive and find a sense of tranquility amongst each other.

Do you happen to have any thoughts about Putin and his meetings with Trump, etc?
My thoughts on the whole Putin and Trump meetings would probably get me in serious shit if I were someone with influence. However I am not so I think it's safe for me to say that I think the invasion of the Ukraine was planned as a distraction. I believe that Trump is just a big a tyrant as Putin and they both should be treated as war criminals. In my opinion those in power are allowing the insanity to continue so that they can further manipulate the masses and influence the sheep. The illusion of freedom is slowly being stripped away due to the atrocities that those in power allow to transpire. It's all misdirection to confuse and manipulate the people so that they may continue their strangle hold and keep their positions of power. I suggest everyone read a book titled “The 48 Laws of Power” by Robert Green. This book will teach you the ways of manipulation on a level that one would never even think to notice.

How timely did you find “The 48 Laws of Power” in relation to what’s currently happening in the world?
I read the 48 laws of power when I was in prison. I read the book because I was informed about how it breaks down basic human manipulation. I've always been curious about human behavior so I picked up the book and when I read it, it really opened up my eyes to the world around me. I find the tactics in this book to be on point with how our world leaders keep the masses in their place. I recommend everyone pick up a copy read it and open their eyes to the truth.

Can you tell me how you learned about Creative Commons and what they do? Are the musicians you found through them comfortable working with you?
Creative Commons is a company of instrumental musicians who make royalty free music for people to use for free. All one has to do is credit the artist channel so others know who did the music. The artists whom I have worked with don’t ask me about my lyrics. I think most are indifferent about what the instrumentals are used for.

Who are you working on your new material with? To your knowledge have any of those musicians worked for other bands before contacting you? Do they have any hand in the songwriting or are you teaching them the song arrangements?
Jonathan Nesbitt and I are working on a new album. Jonathan and I were very pleased with the sound of the last Misanthropik Torment album "KillYourLocalPedophile". We feel that the last album really hit what we were going for. We have a sound in mind and honestly Jonathan Nesbitt is the only musician I know who shares and supports my vision. I have a couple more tracks to finish with creative commons before I start tracking for the new album. But we are really stoked to take Misanthropik Torment to a new level. People are either going to love it or hate it there is no in-between when it comes to that.

How long has Jonathan Nesbitt worked in Misanthropik Torment with you, and how have you and he managed to work together and share the same ideas for so long?
Jonathan Nesbitt and I have worked together on and off since early 2019, and we work well together. We both enjoy Classic Death Metal and seem to share the same views. We honestly think that if someone is blind to the truth about our world today they are blind by choice because it's right there in our face every day. I honestly have no idea how anyone with half a brain could not notice it. Jonathan has a very unique style for Misanthropik Torment. His music really represents what Misanthropik Torment is. Which is Raw and Brutal. I've worked with a lot of other musicians and have dabbled with many different styles of Extreme metal though I am proud of every album. I feel that the albums with Jonathan are Misanthropik Torment's best work.

Which albums released by Misanthropik Torment that you and Nesbitt would consider to be the most professional and innovative?
The "Reincarnation" and "KillYourLocalPedophile" albums are some of our best work. I myself feel like the mix on those albums are some of the best mixes I have done. Musically Johnathan Nesbitt really delivers what those albums needed. The upcoming album we are working on is just going to take what we do to another level. I feel we get better every time we record.

In what ways are you and Nesbitt growing as musicians together?
Nesbitt and I bring the best out of each other creatively. It's hard to explain but his music brings out my best vocals and writing.

What inspired you to write “The Blueprint Façade” and what exactly did you intend to put across to people through the lyrics?
The Blueprint Façade written out of my disgust for bigotry, racial division, and the religious strangle hold that plagues humans who feel the need to believe in a God. I am by no means bashing anyone for what they choose to believe in, if that belief makes that person the best person they can be then cool. There is a lyric in the song that says wake up in the morning with your god. My meaning for this is, if everyone just woke up and didn't focus their energy on killing each other or hating or having animosity towards each other for their differences and they just focused in their beliefs and practiced what they preached then the world would endure less bloodshed. I also say in the song that the Government is not God. The reason I touch on this is because since the dawn of time Governments of one kind or another have used religious idealism to keep the masses separated and keep us pitted against each other. If we are all too busy fighting each other we don't have the ability to see who the real enemy is until it's too late. This track has multiple topic in it. I also speak on the racist nazis these people who carry on a meaningless race war spreading mindless hate. Most of them do not even know why they hate. They only hate because someone else told them to. It doesn't make sense to me. I mean life is hard enough, why complicate it with more war and more mindless hate?

How much does media have to do with the division you discuss in “The Blueprint Façade”?
The media has a big part in “The Blueprint Façade”. The media is just as guilty as the person committing the mindless acts that I speak on. Most people believe what the TV tells them and the media is just another tool used to divide humanity and spread disinformation.

During our previous interview, we discussed cancel culture and its potential impact. Since then, have you seen more instances of this?
Cancel culture has killed Marilyn Manson’s career along with Johnny Depp’s. Cancel culture has attacked Joe Rogan simply because they don't like what he has to say. I myself do not like or dislike Joe Rogan. I agree with some of what he has to say. But that's neither here nor there. It doesn't matter if anyone likes what anyone has to say. Everyone has a right to voice what they choose to voice. Just because one doesn't like it does not give anyone else the right to destroy their career. People try to cancel me all the time and I'm not even on a level of influence that what I have to say should matter at all to them the only reason I haven't been canceled I'd because I publish everything myself there are many people who continue to listen and as long as people are listening to the music I will continue making it.

I noticed you recently completed new Misanthropik Torment tracks. What are these songs about and where can interested parties find them? Anything else you’re working on?
There are five new tracks from Misanthropik Torment, well sort of new. “The Rage of Wrath”, “Under Duress”, “Oblivion”, “19 Children Dead (Fuck the Police)”, “Kill the Tyrant (Vladimir Putin)”. All of these tracks will be going on the album Under Duress. Which the cover art is of the American flag upside down and on fire. This is not a desecration of the flag by any means. It is a statement. When the flag is displayed upside down it is a sign of duress. These tracks talk about the state of our world and the state of America. All one needs to do to see what I am trying to convey is take a look around the world then read the lyrics to each track.
After the “Under Duress” album is finished Jonathan Nesbitt and I are working on another old school death metal album. I am also still writing my book “The Evolution of My Psychosis”. Anyone can find out more about Misanthropik Torment on our website.

-Dave Wolff

Music Created By Panos Karayannis
Band: Misanthropik Torment
Lyrics and Vocals Erick Leviathan Scarlet
Artwork Design: Erick Leviathan Scarlet
Computer Graphic Design: Claudiu Ciorbaru

Blindly following the masses will render you to being a mindless drone, leaving you with mindless hate. Mindless hate, breeds meaningless violence. Think for yourself, if you must hate, hate for your reasons, not someone else's.

Lyrics

Blindly you seek and destroy,
your disease is hereditary,
past down generation after generation
you mold, only listening to the words that they stated,
but did you, yourself ever stop to question why
you hated, or did they write that chapter for you too?

ALL IS LOST YOU PAY A TERRIBLE COST!
FACE YOUR ENEMY!
FACE THE DEMON INSIDE!
YOU SEE THESE WORDS THEY ARE NOT MINE
THEY ARE OF THE DIVINE!

Nonsensical judgements
Divisions of importance
waging war built upon qualities
and characteristics

UNITED WE STAND,
DIVIDED THEY CONQUER US ALL!

All is lost you pay a terrible cost
All is lost you pay a terrible cost
All is lost you pay a terrible cost
RISE ABOVE THE BLUEPRINT FAÇADE!
THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT GOD!

This separation of divinity, is kind of senseless to me
Wake up in the morning with your GOD.
Wake up in the morning with your GOD!
WAKE UP IN THE MORNING!
WAKE UP IN THE MORNING!
WAKE UP IN THE MORNING!
WAKE UP IN THE MORNING!
WITH YOUR GOD!

Nonsensical judgements
Divisions of importance
waging war built upon qualities
and characteristics
United we stand, divided they
CONQUER US ALL!

If you think that I tell lies, I'll tell you once more the TRUTH is there before you, all one must do is OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!!!

For we are all just searching for a sense of tranquility
yet we are walking through Satan's playground
and every path leads us into the unknown.

Rise above the BLUEPRINT FAÇADE
THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT GOD!

Face the DEMON
Face the ENEMY inside
you see these words they are not mine
they are of OUR DIVINE!

All is lost they pay a terrible cost
All is lost they pay a terrible cost
All is lost they pay a terrible cost

Face YOUR DEMON
Face YOUR ENEMY inside
you see these words they are not mine
they are of the divine.

Wake up in the morning with your GOD
this separation of divinity
is kind of senseless to me
Wake up in the morning with your GOD.

Nonsensical judgements
Divisions of importance
waging war built upon qualities
and characteristics
United we stand, divided they
CONQUER US ALL!

If you think that I tell lies, I'll tell you once more
Just open YOUR eyes

Blindly you seek and destroy,
your disease is hereditary,
past down generation after generation
you mold, only listening to the words that they stated,
but did you, yourself ever stop to question why
you hated, or did they write that chapter for you too?

From “Rebell Against The Establishment Power Belongs To The People, released December 12, 2018. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment