Monday, May 15, 2023

EP Review: Wazzara "Ombreine" (Independent) by Brynn Kali StarDew

Band: Wazzara
Location: Zurich
Country: Switzerland
Genre: Post metal, blackgaze, moongaze
Format: Digital album, digipack CD
Label: Independent
Release date: April 30, 2023
“Guggisberg” is apparently a traditional Swiss folk song. I like that it has a black metal sound but it's not too harsh and I can really appreciate the ambient howling in the beginning it really sets the tone for the rest of the album. Album art is really cool, I like the concept of life, death, and re-birth being symbolized by a wheel; it's very Buddhist. The lyrics were mostly understandable which is always a plus for me. Track 2 “Visiûne” was really cool, definitely my favorite track on the album. “I Dream” and “I see” are very powerful lyrics but the drum break at 3:17 was what really got me. It gave it a really unique ambiance most groups wish they could achieve. Track 3 “What Lies Beneath” had a good progressive metal intro, also the heaviest intro on the album, but I thought this was a nice way to wrap it all up so good on ‘em! Her voice is great and the rest of the band is really talented. I really look forward to their next release! –Brynn Kali StarDew

Musicianship: 9/10
Songwriting: 9/10
Production: 9/10
Memorability: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

Lineup:
Barbara Brawand: Vocals, guitar
Marcel “Mäsi” Stettler: Guitar
Tom Kuzmic: Guitar
George Necola: Bass
Deniz Lebovci: Drums

Track list:
1. Guggisberglied
2. Visiûne
3. What Lies Beneath

No comments:

Post a Comment