Sunday, May 26, 2019

Band Review: POWERWOLF by Devin Joseph Meaney


Band: POWERWOLF
Location: Saarbrücken, Saarland
Country: Germany
Genre: Power metal
Once again, I was sitting alone in my bedroom, so I decided that I should probably do a review to keep my mind active. I scrolled through Youtube for a bit, and eventually, I happened to come upon a few releases by the German power-metal outfit Powerwolf. As I stated before, this band is from Germany, and the band was formed in 2003 by David Vogt and Benjamin Buss (stage names Charles and Matthew Greywolf). Dark themes and imagery adorns the music and lyrics, and these guys are also known to wear corpse paint while on stage, something that is mostly unknown within the power-metal sub-genre of heavy metal. As stated on Wikipedia, the band is known to indulge in ''gothic-tinged compositions and songs about Transylvanian werewolf and vampire legends and dark religious tales.'' For me personally, these guys would have to be one of the best power-metal bands I have heard in quite some time, and I will mention that the darkly themed operatics add a nice touch to the music overall. The current members include Attila Dorn (real name Karsten Brill) – vocals (2003–present), Matthew Greywolf (real name Benjamin Buss) – lead and rhythm guitar (2003–present), Charles Greywolf (real name David Vogt) – rhythm guitar, studio bass (2003–present), Falk Maria Schlegel – keyboards (2003–present), Roel van Helden – drums (2011–present). Former members who are no longer with the band include Stéfane Funèbre (real name Stefan Gemballa) – drums (2003–2010) and Tom Diener – drums (2010–2011). The band is also known to accept live support from Markus Pohl – guitars (2016–present) and Fabian Schwarz – guitars (2012). Powerwolf has an expansive discography, and everything that I have heard so far is nothing less than amazing. Powerwolf is a great band, and I suggest that anyone who likes any sub-genres of heavy metal gives these guys a sincere listen. With powerful rhythms, intricate guitars, vicious drums and vocals that can stand with the better-known acts of power-metal, these guys are now going to become a staple within my musical catalogue. Great stuff! -Devin Joseph Meaney

Lineup:
Attila Dorn: Vocals
Matthew Greywolf: Guitars
Charles Greywolf: Bass
Falk Maria Schlegel: Keyboards
Roel van Helden: Drums

No comments:

Post a Comment