Monday, May 27, 2019

Book Review: TRAPPER BOY (Hugh R. MacDonald) by Devin Joseph Meaney

Publisher: CBU Press, 2012
For Christmas of 2018, I had bought some books for my mother as part of her gift. One of these books was ''Trapper Boy'', a novel written by Sydney Mines author Hugh R. Macdonald. My mother read it, telling me that it was absolutely excellent. It sat on the book shelf for a while, but recently, I picked it up to read it for myself... and I am glad that I did. As stated on the back cover of the book, Trapper Boy is set in a 1920's coal mining town, and follows the protagonist, 13 year old JW Donaldson. He is a gifted student, who seems to have a bright future ahead of him. JW's family falls on hard times, and decisions are soon made that will have a strong impact on JW's life. I encourage anyone who gets a chance to check out this tale to give it a read, as it is well written, well researched, has romance, and was enjoyable to read from start to finish. I read the entire novel in one day... I simply could not put it down. Congratulations Hugh, for crafting such a heartwarming story. Positively exquisite! I now look forward to reading the second and third installments of this series! 10/10 -Devin Joseph Meaney

No comments:

Post a Comment