Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Demo Review: GUNN "Demo 2019" (Independent) by Devin Joseph Meaney

Band: GUNN
Location: Orange County, California
Country: USA
Genre: Hardcore punk
Demo: Demo 2019
Label: Independent
Format: Cassette, streaming
Release date: April 18, 2019
On another journey through the vast wasteland known as the underbelly of Youtube, I happened to scroll upon this release, “Demo 2019” by GUNN. Recently I have been on a sincere goregrind/grindcore kick, so this demo was a nice little change of sound.
When listening to this release, I automatically think of The Meatmen. With a flurry of noises that would make Tesco Vee proud, GUNN pushes forward with sincerely catchy punk-rock riffs, primal drums, decent bass, and vocals that make me want to smash everything in my room.
Two more bands that I am reminded of would be The Shithawks and The Abusive Stepdads. These are two very talented local (from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia) punk outfits. The Abusive Stepdads are now defunct (R.I.P.) but The Shithawks are still raging to this day. Now that I think about it, I really need to get to a Shithawks show soon. This demo has really put me in the mood!
In an attempt to stop from going on a long-winded spiel about how much I enjoy this demo, I will make this quick. The music presented on Demo 2019 is what I would consider real genuine punk-rocking¬- just as it should be. This is a short release, and it is very lo-fi. In my humble opinion, this is how it is DONE! GUNN has put forward five tracks in just under eight minutes, and after listening to it on repeat a few times, all I can do now is send them two huge thumbs up! Excellent work, GUNN! -Devin Joseph Meaney

Lineup:
Shane: Vocals
Tony: Guitar
James: Bass
Nason: Drums

Track list:
1. Eyes
2. Fuck My Mind
3. Can’t Stop
4. Thin Blue Line
5. Circles


No comments:

Post a Comment