Tuesday, June 29, 2021

EP Review: Oppress. "Regina Mundi" (Independent) by Corban Skipwith

Band: Oppress.
Country: United Kingdom
Genre: Black metal
EP: Regina Mundi
Format: Digital album, limited edition cassette
Label: Independent
Release date: June 17, 2021
I’m back!
I know it’s been a little while since I’ve posted but I like to give myself a few days in between as to not burn myself out and keep this group running as efficiently as possible!
Anyway, I’ve got an EP (A Four track EP) at that, and after some listens I must say this could be the stand-out metal album of the year!
‘Regina Mundi’ by OPPRESS.
So this is the latest EP/album by UK metal band Oppress. and this is my first experience with them and they definitely left a blasting first impression!
First of all, one thing that I feel should be clear for readers at this point is that when it comes to ‘Black Metal’ my standards are extremely high! I brought myself up on the classic Norwegian Black Metal scene and anything that came after I observe and judge with a piercing ear.
BUT this band seems to have embraced the natural ‘darkness’ and ‘hatred’ of what made the first tier of Black Metal so amazing and added their own almost ‘Sludge’ elements to an already methodical brand of Metal.
Throughout the 4 tracks, there's this sonic sickness that flows from start to finish, I really love the raw aesthetic this project provides and the hellish, bare-boned production just adds that extra ‘wow’ factor to the albums relentless nature, Black Metal feels alive again and to discover a new band (at least for me) it’s a comforting thought that there are bands out there willing to not only cultivate the legends before them but also push the boundaries within the modern era.
The vocal performances are amazing also! The singer has this intense, killer vibe about him as if you’re actually present to a real-life psychopath who was graced with a microphone. You hear everything from
-Maniac Laughter
-Off Putting sounds and noises
-Death Growls
-High Pitch Screams
He really does It all and it’s a wonder of a thing to witness! I love how he seems to worth in perfect harmony with the instrumentation and the production to sync the disgustingly brutal sounds, paired with that raw aesthetic and you’ve got the kind of album you would be afraid to listen to at night (your welcome) and definitely not an album to sleep to!
Overall, this is as mentioned above a contender for metal album of the year! Its twisted sick sounds are reason enough but paired with that production and that vocal performance and you’ve got a receipt for carnage and one that will not soon be outdone! (Or god help us if anyone does)
Link below for the album make sure as always you SUPPORT. STREAM. SUBSCRIBE to help support your local bands!
-Corban Skipwith

Lineup:
O.G.: Vocals, guitars, bass, programming

Track list:
1. Diadem of Encrusted Discharge
2. Ghislaine
3. Oubliette Utopia
4. Hubris Exalted

No comments:

Post a Comment