Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Full Length Review: Immortal "Sons of Northern Darkness" (Nuclear Blast) by Devin J. Meaney

Band: Immortal
Country: Norway
Genre: Black metal
Full length: Sons of Northern Darkness
Format: CD
Label: Nuclear Blast
Release date: February 4, 2002
Wanting to listen to some black metal, I made my way to YouTube to see what the underbelly of the interwebs had to offer. I scrolled through a handful of bands, and most of them I figured seemed “too dark” for my current mood and mindset. Eventually, I came to Immortal’s “Sons of Northern Darkness”! Even though I have been listening to black metal for years, I never did get into Immortal. I mean, I have listened to them a handful of times in the past, but I never “fan girled” for them, if you know what I mean. With that said, the cover art was appealing, and after listening I can state that the vibes were perfect, and overall this album was just what the doctor ordered!
The guitar work is cold and atmospheric, the percussion is stead-fast and pummeling, and the vocals have the perfect rasp. My only “regret” is that I didn’t pray for snow, as listening during a blizzard would have been perfect!
Again, I don’t know as much about Immortal as I probably should as a black metal fan, but this is their 2002 offering. I know they have loads more material, so after I listen to this album a few times I will for sure be looking into more from the band. If you haven’t listened to Immortal, if you are a fan of BM I think that you should. I have no reason/excuse for not getting into them sooner, and if I could go back in time—I wouldn’t change a thing, because if I did, this first “full” listen probably wouldn’t feel as damn epic! -Devin J. Meaney

Lineup:
Abbath: Vocals, guitars, bass
Iscariah: Bass (track 1)
Horgh: Drums
Demonaz: Lyrics

Track list:
1. One by One
2. Sons of Northern Darkness
3. Tyrants
4. Demonium
5. Within the Dark Mind
6. In My Kingdom Cold
7. Antarctica
8. Beyond the North Waves

No comments:

Post a Comment