Monday, December 3, 2018

Full Length Review: LORDRAN Divulgence of the Rotten Spire (Independent) by Devin Joseph Meaney

Independent
Place of origin: Erie, Pennsylvania, USA
Genre: Symphonic black metal
Release date: October 15, 2018
It has been a while since I have heard good black metal. Normally I would throw on my headphones, but as I currently have the entire upstairs of my house to myself, I decided I would blare this through my speakers on full blast. The first thing I will get out of the way is that these guys are phenomenal. Five vicious tracks with an intro overture and interludes between each track. The overture (From the Spires of Serenity to the Flowing Chasm of Mystic Pestilence) really grabs you and brings you into a different realm. It is almost as if it is meant to prepare you for the awesomeness that is this glorious release. The five tracks are splendid! The guitar work is highly professional, the vocals are aggressive and highly emotional and the drums are perfect to the point that I had to question if they were in fact a machine. The synth work is also on par. Another thing I will note about the tracks is that in places they are highly atmospheric. One minute the music will be heavy and intense... then it will switch up to a completely different sound. This is a good thing, though. It makes for an intense listening experience that is highly enjoyable. The interludes are eerie... creepy even. They are atmospheric just like the main tracks, and they really help add to the entire experience. In parts of the interludes, it feels as if the Devil himself is doing a narration on the album. Another thing I can mention about this release is that the names chosen by the musicians on this album are really cool. This, once again, helps add to the overall atmosphere of the release. The logo and album art are also very well done. I guess all in all what I am trying to say is that fans of black metal and atmospheric music in general should really enjoy this release. I have listened to this album three times in a row so far and I am still not bored of it. I guess that means it must be really good... at least in my opinion. Check it out, I really suggest that you do. As for me, this release is now playing through for the fourth time. -Devin Joseph Meaney

Lineup:
Tala'zjar: Guitars, lead vocals, synths
Asramis: Guitars: synths, lyrics
Mikëlaeth: Bass
Kr'tx: Drums

Track list:
1. Overture - From the Spires of Serenity to the Flowing Chasm of Mystic Pestilence
2. I - Vile Incantation
3. Interlude - Summoning Voidflow
4. II - Before the Unknown
5. Interlude - Divulgence of the Rotten Spire
6. III - Impious Majesty
7. Interlude - The Fires of Revelation
8. IV - From Darkest Murk
9. Interlude - The Path to the Eye Lies With the Sunken Dead
10. V - Eye of Quintessence

No comments:

Post a Comment