Saturday, January 8, 2022

EP Review: Strings Of Distorted Doom "Dead Lights (Singles)" (Distorted Doom Records) by Corban Skipwith

Band: Strings Of Distorted Doom
Location: New York
Country: USA
Genre: Avant garde black metal
Format: Digital
Label: Distorted Doom Records
Release date: December 20, 2021
Man, what a strange combination of sounds. This was my initial reaction and remains my opinion hours after studying it.
This single feels like a ‘wild handed’ attempt at Avant Garde and I have to admit it’s definitely interesting.
We have a song that combines various movie/TV dialogues with some of the most gut wrenching Black Metal inspired vocal performances I’ve ever heard riding on the back of some distorted, loud and abrasive instrumentation and production.
For a seven minute + track this feels like an effort to combine (simultaneously I might add) the notions of
-Ambient/Lo Fi/Experimental
-Extreme/Brutal Metal
I’m not sure that both those aesthetics can be represented at all times so for me personally I’m left wishing that they chose one notion to focus on and strengthen or at least try transition between the two variables without forcing them to be present simultaneously.
I can say this, this is indeed a ‘uniquely satisfying’ experience that (as stated above) tries really hard to be equally ‘creative’ and ‘brutal’ at the same time utilizing absolute chaos to achieve this. Go, see what you think and most importantly support the band! –Corban Skipwith

Lineup:
Daniel S. Crane: Vocals, all instruments

Track list:
1. Dead Lights (We All Float Revision)
2. Dead Lights (album version)
3. Dead Lights (2011 version)

No comments:

Post a Comment