Tuesday, November 8, 2016

CD Review: PENITENCE ONIRIQUE "V.I.T.R.I.O.L" (Independent) by Sarah McKellar

Independent
Penitence Onirique are an atmospheric, black metal project based in France formed in 2015. “V.I.T.R.I.O.L” is their full length, 2016 release. The dedication shown to the older black metal influences is shown in their balance of distortion and commitment to their customary brutal sound. A distinct quality to be noted that is consistent throughout “V.I.T.R.I.O.L” is the cohesive speed and relentless musical background displaying the clear dedication and talent of Penitence Onirique. The atmospheric aesthetic displayed within “V.I.T.R.I.O.L” provides an added musical aspect of Penitence Onirique and balances out the brutal aspects perfectly. Combined use of samples and distortion with tempo shifts, instrumental sections and a distinct mournful feeling provide another aspect to a technically and musically tight release. Unexpected conclusions following onto the brutal yet atmospheric sound of Penitence Onirique in a particularly commanding manner. Penitence Onirique consistently maintains a forceful attitude displayed throughout this release, while allowing all aspects to stand alone in their own right. Technically strong, consistent and melodic- the atmospheric yet brutal aspects provide exceptional and consistent listening. -Sarah McKellar

Track list:
1. L'âme sur les pavés
2. Le Soufre
3. Le Sel
4. V.I.T.R.I.O.L
5. Carapace de fantasme vide

No comments:

Post a Comment