Thursday, July 19, 2018

Interview with JR Preston of TJOLGTJAR by Daniel M. Ryan

Interview with JR Preston of TJOLGTJAR

When did you start your band(s) / project(s) and how long have you been making music for?
I started my first band in 1992 or 1993 when I was still in high school. That band eventually became Blood Cult. It was a long time ago and I barely remember anything. Not that I care to.

If you had to describe the sound(s) to my readers what would you tell them to expect?
They should expect nothing. If they go in expecting nothing, maybe they will be surprised. There's too much fucking music out there. Mine is different than the rest.

Is your music available on any merch format such as tape/cd/vinyl or digital medium? Where can listeners find it?
Check Metal Archives and Discogs for Blood Cult, Xexyz, and Tjolgtjar. The final Tjolgtjar 2CD is now available on Super Sargasso / Illinoisan Thunder. A double album of all new material and a big "Fuck You" to everyone as I walk away from my favorite, best project because I'm tired of the metal scene in general. I'm not tired of metal MUSIC, just the dumb scene.

If you had a choice of working with other artists who would they be and why? Any collabs at all in the past or lately?
For years I wanted to work with Lord of Depression and I did. I worked with Woodland's Edge and Angelust and Enbilulugugal. I plan to play on new material from some of these bands. I don't really need to collab with anyone on anything. I'm fine doing everything alone.

How has the reaction been so far to your music?
I don't know. You would have to ask other people about it. Obviously people write me and tell me they like it. My records still sell. New fans pop up here and there. So there's that, and I'm grateful for it. Ain't no one gonna write me and say they don't like it. What's the point in that? If someone did I'd just laugh and go on living in a world where they don't exist.

What would you like done this year in your life may it be musical or personal.
Ah, I haven't thought about it. This year is just about promoting Tjolgtjar's "Vruguun" 2CD and Xexyz "Primeval Death Mountain" and my partnership with the Super Sargasso record label from Peru.

If there is any bands that influenced over the years to make you want to become a musician in the first place, who are they?
The biggest musical influence for me was my guitar instructor, Mr. Davey Little of Decatur Illinois. The only reason I wanted to be in rock n roll was to get chicks and have fun. I think rock, and metal, are now devoid of fun and are boring retreads of old scenes full of squares and lames like professors and shit.

If you had to describe the recording process of your music, how does it work best for you and what do you use?
With Blood Cult usually we used a 4-track and 8-track for demos but for the albums we went to a real studio. With Tjolgtjar I used an 8-track and would press record with my toes. I used my feet a lot. I did not have a pedal to punch in with so I just used the big ass button that was on the recorder. Today I use whatever is available but I'd love to go to a real studio. I hate recording my own music, it's fucking boring. I like interacting with producers and engineers.

How long do you expect to make music for and what are your goals till the end of this year onto the next?
I'm going to make music until I am a corpse. I am a musician, it's my only skill. I don't care about the real world. My only goals are to entertain people whether it's playing live locally or making records. Perhaps I'll do something else to entertain people, but that's what I live for.

How important is your work to you and what do you want others to get out of it?
My work is very important to me, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. I don't understand people that do things for no reason or to be popular. You work should be important to you. It should mean something. It ain't about t-shirts and logos and friends. It's about your soul.

Any last words for the readers of Autoeroticasphyxium zine?
Listen to Tjolgtjar, Blood Cult, and Xexyz. Reject the music scene, listen to what you want, do what you want. Don't worry about the popularity contest. Tell everyone you don't like to fuck off. Quit your job. Stop voting. Get a house in the middle of fucking nowhere. Become a hermit.


-Daniel M. Ryan

1 comment: