Sunday, April 24, 2022

Full Length Review: Böllverk "Heading For The Crown" (Independent) by Corban Skipwith

Band: Böllverk
Location: Aschaffenburg
Country: Germany
Genre: Heavy metal
Format: Digital, CD
Label: Independent
Release date: April 22, 2022
Before I start this, yes I know the band name is wrong but on my PC I can’t find the option to add the necessary symbols for the ‘O’ so forgive me on that one.
Now, let’s start this write up officially because boy do we have the record for you! This record only came out two days ago and features 9 new heart crushing, soul thumping, mood changing, doubt crashing tracks that will take you from 0-100 faster than you can say ‘motherfucker, this is a dope listen’ because that’s exactly what it is.
Man, this album has that classic ‘New British Wave Of Heavy Metal’ feel from the moment it kicks off, pure nostalgia hitting me harder than an angry Mike Tyson, this record reminds me of acts like
-Iron Maiden
-Judas Priests
-Deep Purple
The production has this amazing ‘warm’ feeling to it, as if you’re being wrapped in a heated blanket on a cold day and having your insides just light up in the happy satisfaction of quality and technical intricacies that would make any metal fan rejoice!
One thing I love on this record is the use of the dual singer partnership! Not talking one clean vocalist and one screamer, no. This time it’s two clean singers going back and forth throughout the songs and to me it helps bring out some terrific color and expression from these guys because it feels like we are getting two different perspectives of the same subject when sung by two different people and that’s a unique quality that I don’t think I’ve seen many bands share!
I also love the pacing of this record, it might be an odd thing to point out but from track to track it’s just so fluent and smooth from beginning to end! The whole time I was listening to this I never once was ‘snapped out’ so to speak of the trance this record puts you in, even though the album changes tempo from slow to fast and everything in between but because it’s done and handled with such care and precision it’s non effective in snapping you out of the experience.
Believe you me, if I have the opportunity in the future to talk with these guys I can guarantee they would tell me these songs were not just placed in order by random, I bet each song was structured according to the blueprint they had and I know this because I can hear it in the record! Believe it or not you can hear ‘messy’ or ‘randomness’ and this project was neither. Go check out this excellent record, it’s another can’t miss for metal heads! –Corban Skipwith

Lineup:
Svenja: Vocals
Zahn: Guitar, vocals
Raphi: Guitar
Tim: Bass
Angelo: Drums

Track list:
1. Ask The Angel, Listen To The Devil
2. Let`s Ride Till Dawn
3. Good Morning Rock`n`Roll
4. Heading For The Crown
5. The 7th No (IS A KO)
6. Master Of Thunder
7. Live Fast
8. Next Level Of Service
9. Someday We Will Die

No comments:

Post a Comment