Thursday, April 7, 2022

Full Length Review: Coventry Carols "Coventry Carols" (Independent) by Corban Skipwith

Band: Coventry Carols
Location: Long Island, New York
Country: USA
Genre: Alternative, indie
Full Length: Coventry Carols
Format: Digital album
Label: Independent
Release date: March 18, 2022
Welcome back everyone, today I’m excited to share this new record with you all because it’s not only refreshing to hear something new but it’s also a very unique and exciting sound that I would want all of you to hear.
So this seems like the debut album released 18 March 2022 featuring 8 tracks. This would be the first time I’ve heard of this band and after today it won’t be my last because as I said above they have that interesting ‘IT’ factor, let me explain.
This record very much grounds itself in that ‘Indie Rock/Alternative’ sonic palette with those beautiful instrumentation choices with that smooth guitar, percussion, bass and those almost ambient like drum patterns that linger in the back of your head even after the album is done. What I love about this record is they dabble in the realm of ‘slight experimentation’ without losing sight of what makes this record special and for me that is it’s ‘simplicity’ and using the ‘less is more’ mentality to create an engaging and free flowing album without it sounding ‘boring’ or ‘uneventful’ it’s the perfect balance.
As I was listening to this album I had a few possible inspirations in mind that this band may have followed (or at least how they sound to me) and the same handful of artists came to my head such as
-HIM
-Sufjan Stevens
-Mount Eerie
-Car Seat Headrest
To me the emotional and gripping vocal performances by singer ‘Jon Soda James’ the Triple J’ himself reminds me a lot of both Vile Valo from the band ‘HIM’ and also parts Will Toledo from ‘Car Seat Head Rest’ and to combine the styles of both on top of a nicely polished yet appropriately raw and organic where it needs to be really reminds me of the production styles of acts like ‘Sufjan Stevens’ and ‘Mount Eerie’ (or maybe more specifically The Microphones) but either way similar to both.
The whole time I was listening to this I just felt so relaxed, so in depth with my own thoughts and sometimes even my own mortality. It’s the kind of record you would put on to reflect on life, indulge in ones emotions, mental state and wellbeing, I can already see myself listening to this thing will playing a game on my phone just chilling out or doing a word search puzzle (I love word searches) while playing this off a Bluetooth speaker, it’s truly the perfect background album which isn’t a knock on it by any means as sometimes the right album isn’t one that has the most energy or brutality but the one that makes you see yourself for who you are.
All in all a fantastic record, for 8 tracks they don’t waste a second of it and it all fits the way it should, can’t wait to hear more from these guys in the coming future! Corban Skipwith

Lineup:
Jon Soda James: Vocals, guitars, percussion, piano
Clifford Catropa: Bass
Terry Taylor: Drums, percussion

Track list:
1. Grace
2. The Well
3. Out Of Body Experience
4. Medication Is Expensive
5. This Serenade
6. Far, Farthest
7. Anxiety Flowers
8. Days

No comments:

Post a Comment