Saturday, January 28, 2023

Full Length Review: Mesrine "Source of Hatred" (PRC Music) by Devin J. Meaney

Band: Mesrine
Location: Quebec City, Quebec
Country: Canada
Genre: Grindcore
Full length: Source of Hatred
Format: CD
Label: PRC Music
Release date: June 9th, 2017
Source of Hatred by Mesrine! I recently snagged this cassette from Death by Digital although it was originally released by D7i. This is a “new to me” label and the only other tape I have released by them is an un-named EP by Ear Maggot. Still, both of these tapes are top quality and I can go out on a limb and assume there is much more to be found by this label.
Mesrine are an older band and I remember listening to them when I was a teen. The sound has pretty much stayed the same but the production quality is a lot more hi-res. Other than that not much has changed with Mesrine.
Mesrine are an old-school grind/death grind style band with very obvious thrash elements. I don’t know a hell of a lot about Mesrine other than the fact that they are Canadian. After a brief search I found out that they hail from Quebec City—a place that is well known for some pretty decent grind.
The grinding is pretty standard and there are many bands that have a similar sound but Mesrine has been at it for a long time and they are well deserving of the so called “pat on the back”. Their output has been almost constant and although this is the only album I own from the band I will without question snag more from these guys if it becomes available in the future.
Although this is not one of my favourites from my recent tape haul it is still “a hell of a lot more than decent” and I would suggest this to anyone looking for those old-school vibes! -Devin J. Meaney

Lineup:
Steve “Babbu”: Vocals
Fred: Guitars
Jack: Bass, guitars, backing vocals
Dallaire: Bass, backing vocals
Dan-Charge: Drums, backing vocals

Track list:
1. Hopped to Death
2. Daily Mass Murder
3. Sécurité maximale (Cellule #1)
4. Still in Exile
5. Justin Bourque
6. Infected Brain
7. Colosse Is Back...Again
8. Quarantine
9. Recycling Corpses
10. Death Ride in Kalamazoo
11. Demon Inside
12. 12$
13. Carnivorous Feast
14. Memento Mori
15. Duvel 'n Coffee
16. Mike II
17. Too Many Gods
18. Emomification
19. Matricule 728
20. Moose IV
21. Sécurité maximale (Cellule #2)
22. Pigeon
23. Source of Hatred

Web links:

No comments:

Post a Comment