Sunday, January 22, 2023

Full Length Review: Ouija "Fathomless Hysteros" (Negra Nit Distro) by Brynn Kali StarDew

Band: Ouija
Country: Spain
Genre: Black metal
Full Length: Fathomless Hysteros
Format: Digital album
Label: Negra Nit Distro
Release date: December 18, 2022
The First and self-titled track “FATHOMLESS HYSTEROS” was really good. I like that the band has some more artistic album art than some other bands I have reviewed in the past. The Uterus/Vagina surrounded by planets is extremely memorable. It also sounds like chanting in what I think is Spanish midway through the song which is interesting. I looked up a lyric video they released on Youtube and in it the Euterus/Vagina on the album cover started spinning! So mad props to whoever did that! At 3:00 you definitely hear some Iron Maiden-esque guitar chugging, but it quickly returns to utterly brutal drum work. All in all a really solid Death/Black Metal track.
The song “I SEE YOU WITHOUT EYES” or track number three is pretty cool and reminds me of “The great old ones' ' mentioned in H.P. Lovecraft novels. Interesting lyrical content in general, and I am really happy with the way they changed it up around 5:00 to get a little slower, less hardcore and more progressive. Moving on to “THE FIFTH RIDER” this track seems like it is on the same level of death and black metal subject matter. I highly recommend reading these powerful lyrics since the vocals can be hard to hear like most heavy metal.
“HIJO DEL CAIDO” or track number five has a good intro. Somewhat faster, but there isn’t really anything wrong with that in my opinion. The track name means son of the fallen but I couldn’t really translate what the rest of the lyrics were but I imagine it has to do with being the spawn of Satan. The song “ADVERSARY” I couldn’t find a lyric video on Youtube but Ouija is a lot like a lot of really good metal bands I have heard. I really liked the melodic guitar at 2:20-3:06. This is the kind of stuff that got me into metal in the first place as a tween.
As for the final track on the album “UNBRIDLED TRANSYLVANIAN PASSION” in looking for a lyric video I found a video for their earlier album CARPATHIANS EXCELSI MAJESTY which this track is originally on. This song has basically been around as long as I have been alive so I really don’t know what to say other than I think a lot of modern metal might be based on this and other bands like it! -Brynn Kali StarDew

Songwriting: 9
Musicianship: 9
Memorability: 10
Production: 9
Overall: 9.5

Lineup:
Midgard: Vocals
Map: Guitars
JM101: Guitars
Shoggoth: Bass
Fulgur: Drums

Track list:
1. Fathomless Hysteros
2. Bestia Negra
3. I See You Without Eyes
4. The Fifth Rider
5. Hijo Del Caido
6. Adversary (Re-Recorded From LP "Ave Voluptatis Carnis", 2013)
7. Unbridled Transylvanian Passion (Re-Recorded From "Riding Into The Funeral Paths", 2003)

Band links:

No comments:

Post a Comment