Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Band Review: SCHILLER

Schiller, a German project who focuses on that electronic sound, but not to the point of ad nausem, has been around and, I’d say exclusively followed in European communities, since 1998. Since the beginning, this band consisted of Christopher von Deylen and Mirko von Schlieffen - who, in 2001 left the band.
Christopher von Deylen does not provide vocals for the band. Vocals have been provided by a myriad of guest artists including Sarah Brightman, Andrea Corr of The Corrs, Colbie Caillat, Sarah Howells of Welsh emotional folk / indie band Paper Aeroplanes and over thirty others.
I have spent several nights listening intently to their music on Youtube, but did not watch the videos. I was amazed at the versatility of the musicians and the beautiful change-ups in vocals (both American and German). I did not know then that there were so many contributors until I began my research.
Perhaps Schiller is best at providing such an array of talent to avoid the droning of sound-alike song after song. His brilliance may very well be his choice to collaborate so heavily with others and expanding his own grandeur of musical genius.
This band gets an A+ from me, no matter who sits at the various instruments or singing the songs. I don’t even mind the German lyrics - the melody and compositions express enough to give away the meaning. It is true that music is a universal language and Schiller proves this. -Teresa Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment